Amazon are constantly making changes to the Firestick via system updates. Sometimes they push down applications that we dont want (and we can’t remove) or they change permissions so that things that were working before (Custom launchers!) don’t work any more.
If it possible to disable system updates on the 4K firestick via ADB.
(APK at the bottom of the page)
1. From the Main Menu scroll to hover over Settings.
2. Click My Fire TV.
3. Choose Developer Options.
4. Click Apps from Unknown Sources.
5. Choose Turn On.
Install all of the APK’s shown below and then open remote adb shell
- Ensure the port is set to 5555 and click on Connect
- You will see a prompt asking you to accept the ADB connection. Select the option to “Always allow from this computer” and click Yes
ADB Commands needed to block
pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota.override pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota
Once you make this change, if you try to go to the Check for updates screen
ADB Commands needed to unblock
pm enable com.amazon.device.software.ota.override pm enable com.amazon.device.software.ota
Reboot your device and your device will be able to check/download updates again